I’ve always admired Bosch for building some of the best home appliances. But even the best model in their dishwasher series is prone to possible breakages and malfunctions.
In this Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA troubleshooting guide, we look at the common issues that hinder performance and learn how to fix them.
Common Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA dishwasher problems include filling up with water on its own, filling with dirty water, not filling with water at all, and not draining. Other issues include the dishwasher not drying dishes, buttons failing to work, lights flashing, and the unit not starting.
In this Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA troubleshooting guide, I’ll look at all the possible problems you might run into with this kind of dishwasher. Then, I’ll recommend the best possible solution to each.
Let’s get started:
Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA Troubleshooting: 9 Common Problems & How to Fix Them
The table below is a summary of the most common Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA dishwasher problems as well as how to fix them:
|1.||Bosch not filling up with clean water||The entry valve jammed open||Replace the entry valve with a new one|
|2.||Dishwasher won’t start||Unit may have power issue, control lock may be active, or door not closed||The correct fix depends on the issue. For example, close and latch the door or deactivate control lock for unit to start|
|3.||Unit not draining||Clogged drain and filter||Clean the drain and filter to get rid of dirt and debris|
|4.||Unit fills with dirty water||The check valve is faulty||Replace the current check valve with a new one|
|5.||Dishwasher not drying dishes||Vent and motor may be faulty||Inspect the motor an vent, then replace if faulty|
|6.||Unit doesn’t fill with water||The water inlet valve malfunctions||Replace the current water inlet valve with a new one|
|7.||Dishwasher buttons not starting||Items may be obstructing the unit||Remove the obstructing items to see if that fixes the problem.|
|8.||Dishwasher making noise||Noise indicates different issues||Check the kind of noise the unit makes and fix accordingly|
|9.||Unit leaking from the motor area||The sealant on the dishwasher’s pump seal has dried out||Replace the seal kit of the unit|
1. Your Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA Dishwasher Fill Up With Clean Water by Itself
Bosch dishwashers frequently overfill themselves with clean water, which is one of the most prevalent complaints I’ve heard from people who have the model in their homes.
Unfortunately, this problem is bigger than we can even begin to imagine. If anything, a dishwasher that fills itself with water can flood your kitchen will increasing your water bill unnecessarily.
If your Bosch dishwasher fills up with clean water by itself, it’s likely that the entry valve jammed open. With the entry valve jammed, the unit can fill itself with water even when the dishwasher is off.
To be clear, the water inlet valve doesn’t just jam open on its own. Often, the issue springs from calcium buildup from hard water. Even if just a tiny amount of water sucks through the valve, the water level will rise over the fine filter mesh within a few hours.
Cleaning the water inlet valve may seem like the best solution here, but it isn’t. You have to replace the jammed valve to fix the problem.
You can get the Endurance Pro 425458 Dishwasher Water Inlet Valve for replacement.
I recommend this model because it’s compatible with Bosch models. And while it’s inexpensive, it’s good enough to keep the unit from filling up with water on its own.
2. Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA Won’t Start
But sometimes, electrical issues aren’t often the cause of the dishwasher failing to start.
From what I understand, your Bosch dishwasher may fail to start because of the following additional problem:
- You may have set the unit to delay start. So, wait until the delay start time elapses and then turn on the unit. Or reset the dishwasher altogether to start immediate operation.
- You may have activated control lock to keep kids from operating the unit. Deactivate this function to get the unit to work.
- You may not have closed the door. Make sure you close the door and that you’ve latched the door properly.
3. Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA Not Draining
A typical issue you may have with this Bosch dishwasher model is its failure to drain properly. If this occurs, dirty water remains in the bottom of the dishwasher, which is exceedingly unclean.
You need to have this problem fixed fast.
- Remove the filter and drain first. If there is a significant amount of water, you may need to remove it using a ladle.
- Insert a dry towel down the washer drain to remove any remaining water and debris.
- Using a screwdriver, loosen and remove the nut. Then, remove the component to expose the propeller.
- Move the impeller around to determine whether anything obstructs it, and remove clutters if any.
Remove the rubber check valve and inspect it for debris. Also, try to backwash the water via the impeller and rubber component.
4. The Dishwasher Filling Up With Dirty Water
Your Bosch dishwasher may also have an issue with unclean water. Unsanitary and costly water damage might follow, so it’s best to avoid it at all costs.
The check valve is the most common cause of a dishwasher that fills up with unclean water. Its purpose is to limit the flow of water to one direction, keeping unclean water out of the dishwasher and out of the sink.
However, dirty water will enter the dishwasher if the check valve is broken. And the best way to fix this problem is to replace the check valve.
The Bosch 00165262 Check Valve is a good replacement part to consider. Going for only under $20, the check valve is a quality build that you should be able to replace on your own.
- Open the dishwasher door and remove the lowest washer rack to access the check valve.
- Remove the bottom spray arm and place it in a storage area.
- Remove the filter screen to remove the filter screen basket.
- Pull the lid out of the unit
- Now use a flathead screwdriver to remove the damaged check valve from the dishwasher.
Install a new check valve and make sure it’s securely in position by pressing it into the slot.
5. Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA Not Drying
A typical complaint with Bosch dishwashers is that they fail to dry the dishes completely. A vent, vent motor, or heating mechanism may be the reason why the dishwasher fails to dry the dishes well.
You’ll need to inspect the vent and motor to repair to fix this problem.
If the dishwasher vent won’t open, you’ve found the source of the problem. In this case, replace the vent with an exact copy.
Inspect the vent fan motor if the vents are opening correctly. Use a multimeter to check for continuity in the motor to determine whether it’s dead.
As an alternative, you might try spinning the fan blade by hand to determine if it’s stuck. If the motor isn’t working properly or isn’t rotating at all, it’s time to get a new vent fan.
Sometimes your Bosch dishwasher fails to dry dishes correctly because of a faulty heating element. Measure the voltage with a multimeter. Replace the component that is particular to your model if it is not continuous.
6. Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA Dishwasher Not Filling Up with Water
The failure of the dishwasher to fill with water is a typical occurrence with Bosch dishwashers. Because of this, your dishes the unit won’t be able to clean your dishes correctly.
More often than not, the unit fails to fill with water because of a malfunctioning water input valve.
The best way to solve this problem is to replace the current water inlet valve with a new one.
BOSCH 00628334 Dishwasher Water Inlet Valve is good option to consider for replacement.
- Remove the old valve from the bottom access panels.
- Remove the wire harness must be removed, disconnect the water supply, and detach the brass elbow
- Remove the old water inlet valve and install the new one
Reassemble and test your dishwasher to ensure it is working properly.
7. The Dishwasher’s Buttons Not Starting
Bosch dishwasher buttons fail to work for the same reasons GE dishwasher buttons fails to work.
It is possible that something is obstructing the button sensors, which is one of the most common explanations.
Remove the item and restart the system to fix this issue.
There is a good chance that the selector knob on your dishwasher has gone bad. If that’s the case, have it replaced.
8. Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA Dishwasher Making Noise
A Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA dishwasher can be an irritating unit if it makes noise and fail to perform correctly.
The noise that a dishwasher makes may be because of a minor or serious issue. For example, a buzzing or rattling noise from the dishwasher means the water input valve is faulty and may need a replacement.
Other causes of the noise may include:
- The temperature of the water is too high for this time of year.
- The motor shaft is vibrating because of a damaged motor bearing or axle.
- There is food or other material clogging the filter screen at the bottom of the dishwasher.
- Poor thermal insulation can lead to higher than usual operating temperatures in one region and lower-than-optimal performance in the other. This is due to a lack of thermal insulation between components.
Your dishwasher will work as it should, but I suggest you check what could be causing the noise and fix the issue accordingly.
9. The Dishwasher Leaks from the Motor Area
The motor area of a dishwasher will leak if the pump seal is faulty.
In this case, it is possible that the sealant on the dishwasher’s pump seal has dried out, causing it to leak. It could also be due to an overflowing dishwasher.
You’ll need to replace the pump and motor assembly if water is leaking from the dishwasher’s motor area.
The first step is to find out where the leak is coming from. If the drain pump is leaking water, the impeller and seal are the most likely culprits.
Dishwasher impellers and seal kits can be replaced on most models without having to remove the dishwasher’s drain pump.
Aside from dismantling the pump if you choose, you can just buy an entirely new pump-motor system if the impeller and seal kit are unavailable.
It’s also a good idea to swap out the pump and motor if the old impeller won’t fit on the rusted shaft of the old motor.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Do You Reset a Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA?
You can reset the Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA dishwasher by pressing and holding down the start button for three to five seconds.
2. How Do I Run a Diagnostic on my Bosch Dishwasher?
You can run a diagnostic mode on your Bosch dishwasher by pressing the start button and waiting for a response.
If that doesn’t work, press and hold down the start button three times.
3. Why is Bosch Dishwasher Not Starting?
The dishwasher won’t start if it doesn’t have power. If it has power but can’t start, you might be dealing with a water supply issue.
Make sure you connect the dishwasher to your home’s water supply and turn the water valve on.
While Bosch Silence Plus 44 DBA is one of the best dishwashers built by the brand, it can also malfunction just like every other model. However, it’s not difficult to fix the most common errors with this unit.