Very few home appliances use as much electricity as a dishwasher, and given how repeatedly you have to run it, you’ve to ask about its electricity consumption. In that case, how many watts does a dishwasher use?
Dishwashers generally use 1200 – 2400 watts per load cycle, but most of them average 1800 watts. So, if you only wash the dishes for an hour and each cycle averages an hour, you’ll spend 1800 watts on average.
But again, several factors, such as the dishwasher model, its energy efficiency and maintenance, and time of washing, have roles to play. For example, an energy-efficient dishwasher will save you wattage if it’s properly maintained and you run it when it’s not too hot.
On that note, I’ll explain how to reduce your dishwasher’s electricity usage to enable you to slice your monthly energy bill.
We will also look at how many amps the various dishwasher models use and give an overview of how much power and money your dishwasher will consume per day and month.
Let’s jump into it!
In a hurry? Below is a table showing your dishwasher’s expected power consumption in wattage.
The Number of Watts a Dishwasher Is Likely to Use and Cost
|Power Consumption||Wattage (Average)||Estimated Cost @ $0.10/kWh|
|Per Load Cycle||1800 watts||$0.18|
|Daily||1800 watts for 1 hour/day 3600 watts for 2 hours/day||$0.18 for 1 hour/day $0.36 for 2 hours/day|
|Monthly||54 KW (54,000 watts) 108 KW (108,000 watts)||$5.40 for 1 hour/day $10.80 for 2 hours/day|
In General, How Many Watts Does a Dishwasher Use Per Load?
On average, dishwashers use 1200 – 2400 watts per load cycle. That gives us an average of 1800 watts which is often the case with Whirlpool, Maytag, Bosch, Miele, and many other dishwasher models. But note that the more efficient dishwashers use less power.
But How Many Watts Does a Dishwasher Use Per Hour?
Assuming that each load cycle averages an hour, the dishwasher will consume 1200 – 2400 watts per hour or 1800 watts on average. It could be slightly less if your dishwasher is faster, the dishes are fewer, or you opt for an energy-saving mode.
Watts Per Day
Now, this depends on how many cycles you run per day. So, how often do you use the dishwasher?
If it’s only once daily, the dishwasher uses 1200 – 2400 watts per day, depending on how energy efficient it is. But if the dishwasher runs at least two cycles a day, the average will at least double to 2400 – 4800 watts.
Watts Per Month
We also have to factor in how often you run the dishwasher per day to determine the monthly wattage. If you only wash once daily, which averages 1200 – 2400 watts, your monthly electricity consumption is 54,000 watts (or 54KW).
But if you run two cycles daily, the monthly wattage will double to about 108,000 watts (or 108 KW).
How Many Amps Does a Dishwasher Use?
Depending on the dishwasher model, dishwashers can use 8 – 15 amps. They, however, need a circuit that has more amps than that.
Here’s what to know about the various dishwasher models and their preferred amps.
- Kenmore dishwasher – Kenmore dishwashers typically require 8.2 amp, which is lower than every other dishwasher model in this list and translate to low energy consumption. The additional advantage is that it can run on a 15-amp circuit.
- Whirlpool dishwasher – Expect a Whirlpool dishwasher to use 10 – 12 amps which is relatively low. So, they are not heavy power users but need a dedicated circuit that’s at least 20 amps to be safe.
- Bosch dishwasher – Bosch dishwasher requires 12 amps which is not much translating to assemble power consumption. To run them, you need a dedicated circuit with 20 amps.
- Frigidaire dishwasher – Frigidaire dishwashers are just as energy efficient as Bosch dishwashers. They need 12.5 amps and run on a dedicated 20-amp circuit.
- KitchenAid dishwasher – KitchenAid dishwasher uses slightly more amps than the above dishwashers, that’s 15 amps. That means you need a dedicated circuit that’s at least 20 amps.
- Maytag dishwasher – Given that Maytag and KitchenAid are by the same company, they use similar amperage (15 amps) and require equivalent dedicated circuits (at least 20 amps).
- LG dishwashers – Like KitchenAid and Maytag dishwashers, LG dishwashers need 15 amps to run and are best on a 20-plus amp dedicated circuit.
Now, below is a table to summarize it all.
|Dishwasher Model||Recommended Amps||Dedicated Circuit|
|Kenmore||8.2 amps||15 amps|
|Whirlpool||10 – 12 amps||20 amps|
|Bosch||12 amps||20 amps|
|Frigidaire||12. 5 amps||20 amps|
|KitchenAid||15 amps||20 amps|
|Maytag||15 amps||20 amps|
|LG||15 amps||20 amps|
Cost of Running a Dishwasher Per Month
From the information shared earlier (in the table), your dishwasher is likely to use 54,000 watts per month (54 KW) if you only run one cycle per day and 108,000 watts (or 108 KW) if you run it twice daily.
Cost-wise, you are likely to spend between $5.40 and $10.80 on the dishwasher, depending on how often you run it. But of course, the cost could go down with an energy-efficient dishwasher and apply the energy-saving tips that’ll share monthly.
Do Dishwashers Take a Lot of Power?
As I mentioned, few home appliances consume as much or more power than a dishwasher. According to Eco Cost Savings, a single dishwasher load cycle consumes the same amount of energy as a TV that runs 20 hours nonstop, a medium-size ceiling fan that runs two straight days, or a dehumidifier that runs for at least 2 hours.
So, typical dishwashers are heavy power users. Modern dishwashers, however, are becoming more energy efficient, halving the monthly wattage usage.
Subsequently, if you want to save on power, go for an energy-efficient dishwasher.
But what if what you have is not energy efficient or you want to reduce the power more despite having an energy-efficient dishwasher? Then apply the energy-saving tips below:
How to Save Power On a Dishwasher?
Generally, you can save power on your dishwasher usage using these tips:
- Run the dishwasher off-peak – Consider washing the dishes early in the morning or at night when it’s cooler to save energy. Fewer people are using their appliances.
- Use a low-temp setting – Adjust your dishwasher’s heater temperature to about 120 degrees to reduce power consumption.
- Choose the energy-saving mode – You’ll save energy running the dishwasher on an energy saver. What’s more, it saves you water.
- Air-dry it – Modern dishwashers have the air-dry setting that saves you up to 50% of energy and water. If your dishwasher lacks the setting, stop it before entering the dry cycle and open it to allow air in.
- Opt for the eco mode – The eco mode prolongs the wash cycle but saves on energy and warm water use. So, switch to eco mode if you aren’t in a hurry.
- Skip the heat-drying option – The heat-drying setting uses more power. So, skip it, and use the air-dry or eco mode instead.
- Don’t pre-rinse – You use extra energy by pre-rinsing the dishes beforehand. However, if you skip it and wipe the dishes manually, you save up to 20% of the power.
- Pile up – Instead of only washing a few utensils and getting to run the dishwasher more than once, pile up the dishes and wash them in one cycle.
- Preheat the water – Some dishwashers have pre-heat options that allow you to pre-heat the water before washing. That saves on energy.
- Clean the dishwasher regularly – Good dishwasher maintenance starts with proper cleaning, and it’s vital in saving power as it prevents the dishwasher from working too hard.
- Hand-wash the dishes at times – You don’t have to run the dishwasher whenever there’s a dirty plate. You can hand wash them if they are fewer and skin the dishwasher to save on power.
- Turn off when not in use – If your dishwasher doesn’t automatically turn off and only goes on standby, turn it off to save energy.
People Also Ask
1. But Can a Dishwasher Be On A 15-Amp Circuit?
Yes, a dishwasher can be on a 15-amp circuit if it’s less than ten amps itself. That’s the case of most Kenmore dishwashers which are only 8.2 amp, thus requiring a 15-amp circuit.
Just ensure you protect the dishwasher from a power surge using a 15/20-amp breaker.
2. How Many Watts Does a Bosch Dishwasher Use?
Bosch dishwashers have an average power consumption of 1800 watts/hour. However, depending on how energy efficient the dishwashers are, the hourly Bosch dishwasher wattage could average 1200 – 2400 watts per hour.
3. How Many Watts Does a Miele Dishwasher Use?
According to Miele, its top energy-saving dishwasher uses about 0.06 KWh per single place setting. That’s a step up from previous models, which consume twice as much power.
4. How Much Power Does a Dishwasher Take?
A standard dishwasher consumes 1200 – 2400 watts per wash cycle or day. In terms of amperage, it uses 12 – 15 amps, depending on the model. Cost-wise, you will likely spend $5.40 a month on a dishwasher that runs one cycle a day.
5. Are Dishwashers 15 amps or 20 amps?
Most dishwashers are 15 amps, as it’s the case with Kitchenaid, LG, and Maytag models. Such dishwashers require a dedicated circuit of at least 20 amps to avoid any safety issues.
6. Is Running a Dishwasher Cheaper Than Handwashing?
Using an energy star certified dishwasher is generally energy-saving, which saves you money. Most dishwashers, however, are not energy star rated, making them more expensive to run than washing by hand.
7. Does Using a Dishwasher at Night Save Energy?
The surrounding temperatures are cooler at night, and as a result, the dishwasher uses the least energy. Most household appliances are turned off, making the power grid system less busy, and you will likely enjoy lower rates.
8. How Many Watts Does a Whirlpool Dishwasher Use?
Whirlpool dishwashers use 1800 watts per load cycle on average. So that gives you 1800 watts per day if you only run the dishwasher once and 3600 watts if you run two cycles per day.
In summary, how many watts does a dishwasher use?
As shared, most dishwashers use 1200 – 2400 watts per load cycle or hour. That gives us an average of 1800 watts, which is standard for modern dishwashers. So, if you only run the dishwasher once a day, it’ll use 1800 watts per day on average.