The Maytag Bravos XL washer is irrefutably one of its kind regarding optimal cleaning, washing efficiency, and ease of use. But even so, this washer occasionally malfunctions, and that’s where a Maytag Bravos XL washer reset is essential.
You can quickly hard reset a Maytag Bravos XL washer by unplugging it from the power source and plugging it back in after 3 – 5 minutes. That applies to error codes, beeping, flashing, and when the washer won’t start, complete a cycle, or turn off.
Note that the hard reset is only one of the five techniques you can employ on a Bravos XL and many other washers. Each of the reset techniques has its preferred troubleshooting issues.
For example, there are other reset procedures best after replacing washer components, when the washer is stuck on sensing, and when the washer is stuck on sensing, among other issues.
Let’s discuss these reset techniques in detail!
In a hurry? Below is a summary of the five reset techniques and what they can fix
Maytag Bravos XL Washer Reset Technique Summary
|Reset Technique||Key Steps||Issues to Troubleshoot|
|1.||Hard Reset (Or Basic Reset)||Unplug the washer for 3- 5 minutes, then plug it back in||Error codes, beeping, LED flashing, and a washer that won’t start, complete cycle, or turn off|
|2.||Power/Cancel Reset||Press pause/cancel, choose a new cycle, then press start/pause||When the washer won’t move to the next cycle or is stuck on sensing|
|3.||Calibration Reset||Rotate the cycle selector knob anticlockwise (once), clockwise (3 times), anticlockwise (once) then clockwise (once)||After replacing vital washer components|
|4.||Standby Mode||Press Start/Pause, then rotate the cycle selector clockwise thrice and anticlockwise and clockwise once||After replacing vital washer components|
|5.||Lid Lifting||Quickly lift and lower the washer’s lid six times (do it within 12 seconds)||When the washer doesn’t spin, stops mid-cycle, and many other malfunctions|
When to Reset a Maytag Bravos XL Washer
A reset won’t fix every problem. But even so, it’s the first recommendation when a washer malfunction or develops an issue you can’t fix. That brings us to the following matters:
- When the washer has an error code – The first approach when the Bravos XL washer has an error code is to hard-reset it. That should clear the error code unless it’s a serious problem. Check the commonest Maytag bravos XL washer error codes on the official Maytag error code page.
- When the lid lock doesn’t open – You can also perform a reset when the Maytag Bravos XL washers lid doesn’t lock. Do that before considering replacing the lid or calling an expert.
- After a part replacement – It’s advisable to reset the washer after replacing vital internal components such as the drive assembly, capacitor, main control, and suspension.
- When the washer is stuck on sensing – If the washer shows sensing but doesn’t run or move on to a new cycle, you can reset it to unstuck it. The applicable reset is the power/cancel/reset.
- When the washer flashes its LEDs or beeps – Flashing LEDs and beeping sounds are more like fault codes. They often indicate a malfunction which you can reset with a hard reset.
- When the washer doesn’t start – If your Bravos XL washer doesn’t start because of a non-power-related issue (when it has power), consider resetting it first. A hard reset will most likely work.
- When the washer doesn’t move to the next cycle – The power/cancel reset also comes in handy when the Bravos XL washer won’t move to the next cycle.
- When the washer produces a strange noise – You can also reset a Maytag Bravos XL when it makes weird sounds, and you are not sure why.
- When the washer won’t shut off – Not only can you hard reset a Maytag washer that won’t turn on but also an option that won’t shut off.
- When the washer stops mid-cycle – Also consider resetting your Bravos XL washer when it abruptly stops mid-cycle and won’t continue. Overall, a hard reset will do.
- When the washer doesn’t spin – Consider resetting the washer when it won’t spin, and the problem is not power related. You can try to hard-reset it to see if it turns.
Does Maytag Bravos XL Have a Reset Button?
Sadly, the Maytag Bravos XL washer doesn’t have a dedicated reset button. That, however, doesn’t mean you can’t reset the washer if you want to.
As hinted, you can unplug the washer briefly (what we call a hard reset), and it’s not the only way to do it. Let’s discuss how you can reset this Maytag washing machine and the issues to fix in each case.
How to Reset Maytag Bravos XL Washer?
Below are five techniques to reset the Maytag Bravos XL washer.
1. Maytag Bravos XL Washer Hard Reset (Basic Reset)
The hard reset or basic reset is as basic as it sounds. This reset technique is better suited to cleaning an error code (or Fault) when it pops up and fixing the washer when it starts beeping or flashing. Here’s how to hard reset a Bravos XL washer:
- Turn the XL washer off and then unplug it
- Wait for 3– 5 minutes to plug the washer back in
- Power it on to see if it’s working now
2. Power/Cancel Reset
Sometimes the Bravos XL washer gets stuck in sensing mode or won’t move to the next cycle. If so, you can perform the power/cancel reset, which involves these steps:
- While the washer is plugged in, press pause/cancel
- Choose the appropriate wash cycle
- Now press start/power
- Wait for the XL wash cycle
- Now press start/power
- Wait for the XL washer to reset and try turning it on
3. Calibration Reset
The calibration reset comes in handy after replacing the main control board motor, suspension, drive assembly, capacitor, washer basket, and other vital washer components.
That ensures the washer turns on and runs without malfunctioning. Here’s how to go about it:
- Empty the washer’s drum and then close the lid
- While the washer is plugged in but off (on standby mode), rotate the cycle selector dial counter-clockwise once
- Rotate the dial clockwise thrice and then counter-clockwise once
- Rotate the dial clockwise one more time and wait to see if the LED blinks
- If the LED doesn’t blink, continue rotating the dial until it does
- Press start when the LEDs light up
4. Standby Mode Reset
Consider the standby mode reset if your washer is stuck on sensing or won’t work to the next cycle and the power/cancel reset doesn’t work. This reset technique involves these steps:
- Put your washing machines on standby (leave it plugged in but on)
- Press start/pause and hold down the button for 3 seconds or until the indicators go off
- Rotate the cycle selector dial clockwise once, wait for half a second, and rotate it clockwise again two times
- Rotate the dial counter-clockwise, then clockwise, and ensure you do everything within 6 seconds
- You can know the washer has reset if the indicator lights come on
5. Lid Lifting Reset
You can also reset a Maytag Bravos XL or any other Maytag top loader by lifting its lid several times.
Here’s how to go about it:
- Unplug the washing machine for at least 60 seconds
- Plug it back into the power, wait 30 seconds, then raise and lower its lid six times
- Do everything within 12 seconds
- Power on the washer to see if it’s working
People Also Ask
1. How Do I Reset My Maytag Bravos XL MCT Washer?
You can perform a basic reset on a Maytag Bravos XL MCT washer that won’t start or turn off, stop mid-cycle, or has an error code. That requires you to unplug the washer from the power for at least 3 minutes, then plug it back and power it on.
2. How Do I Reset My Maytag Washer to Factory Settings?
The easiest way to factory reset a washer is to hard reset it. That requires you to plug out the washer for 3-5 minutes, then plug it back in and start it.
Remember, this reset not only restores the washer to its default/factory setting but can also restart a washer that won’t start or stop mid-cycle or an option that won’t turn off or has an error code.
3. How Do I Reset My Maytag Washer Control Board?
You can reset a Maytag washer control board by putting it on standby mode. That requires you to leave it plugged in but not turned on. Then, press Start/Pause for about 3 seconds and rotate the cycle selector dial anticlockwise thrice, clockwise once, and anticlockwise one more time.
4. How Do You Put a Maytag Bravos XL Washer in Diagnostic Mode?
You can put a Maytag Bravos XL washer in diagnostic mode by first putting it on standby mode. That means leaving it plugged in but not powered on. Then, rotate the cycle selector dial clockwise thrice, then clockwise and anticlockwise once.
5. Why Won’t My Maytag Bravos XL Washer Spin?
Your Maytag Bravos XL washer won’t spin for different reasons. The issues include load imbalance or overstocking, poor drainage, power failure, or an open lid. It could also be due to a failed component such as the lid lock, drive belt, motor coupling, clutch, or transmission.
Above are the 5 Maytag Bravos XL washer reset techniques worth knowing and trying. Consider starting with the basic reset, where you first unplug the washer for at least 3 minutes. That’s more important when clearing faults and dealing with beeps, flashes, a washer that won’t start or turn off, or one that stops mid-cycle, among other issues.
Only when the technique fails should you consider the other four techniques. Remember, the reset comes first before any other troubleshooting and is meant to save you from doing any complex repairs when dealing with an issue that doesn’t need one!