Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher is one of the well-built units in the brands series. But, like every model out there, it isn’t 100% error proof. So if you have the Frigidaire dishwasher not draining problem, this guide will help you understand why as well as suggest the best fixes.
Your Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher is not draining because of a kink in the drain hose, a kink in the solenoid valve, a defective timer, or a problem with the air gap and garbage disposal. A faulty drainage pump, filter glass trap, and using wrong detergent can also cause the drainage problem.
In this guide, I talk about all the possible reason why your Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher is not draining and suggest how to fix each problem. Also, you’ll learn how to do a drain pump test as well as how to drain the dishwasher.
Let’s get started.
Why is My Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher Not Draining?
A Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that is not draining wastewater can make you start doing dishes manually, and doing so can take up a lot of your time.
So, it’s important to learn why the dishwasher fails to drain and then fix those problems to get the unit to work properly again.
|Problem||Quick DIY Solution|
|1.||Drain hose not working properly||Clean the drain hose to remove blockages. Check if there are kinks and fix them.|
|2.||Solenoid valve is faulty||Use a multimeter to check the condition of the valve and replace it if you get unfavorable readings|
|3.||Dishwasher has an issue with the air gap and garbage disposal||Clean the blockages from the air gap and garbage disposal. Then, start the garbage disposal before running the wash cycle.|
|4.||Defective timer||You should replace the timer for the drain solenoid and the motor to work|
|5.||Use of wrong detergent||You should stick to washing detergents recommended only for dishwashers|
|6.||Faulty flapper valve||Clean the flapper valve to remove blockage. Replace the valve if its faulty|
|7.||Faulty drainage pump||You should clean the dirt and debris from the pump, and then test the dishwasher to see if the problem is gone.|
|8.||Dirty dishwasher filter||Access and clean the filter. Then put it back in its place.|
Below is an explanation on why your Frigidaire dishwasher won’t drain as well as the most reasonable quick fixes.
1. There’s a Problem with the Drain Hose
If your Frigidaire Gallery has a drainage problem, you need to start your troubleshooting by examining the drain hose.
Check if there’s a kink in the drain hose, as it’s the common cause for water backing up in the dishwasher.
- Manually straighten the hose right from where it has twisted or turned.
- Using your hands, tighten the hose seal if you notice it has come loose.
- If there clogs blocking the hose, take one end of the hose and blow through.
The other way you can unblock the drain hose is with the use of a wire coat hanger. Use the wire to poke the hose until all clogs fall out of the hose on the other end.
2. The Solenoid Valve Might Be Faulty
A solenoid valve is one of the most important components built into the Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher. Its work is to open and let water drain out of the dishwasher.
Now, the other reason your dishwasher is not draining is that the solenoid valve has a problem, with temperatures that are either too high or too low being the cause of the defectiveness.
If the drain solenoid valve is faulty, it won’t open to let water drain out of the dishwasher.
Check whether the drain solenoid valve is in good and working condition using a multimeter.
What you will be checking for is continuity. The lack of continuity means the drain solenoid is defective and therefore you’ll need to get a new solenoid kit for replacement.
To access the drain solenoid valve, remove the lower access panel of the dishwasher. You will find the solenoid just close to the drain pump.
3. Problem with Air Gap and Garbage Disposal
Your Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher will not drain water if there are clogs in the garbage disposal and in the air gaps.
To begin with, the garbage disposal and air gap share the same channel. So, if dirt, debris, and foreign objects block one, the other component won’t work.
And instead of wastewater draining out of the dishwasher, it starts to flow back into the appliance.
The first thing you need to do is to clean the blockages from the air gap and garbage disposal. Second, keep the problem from recurring by starting the garbage disposal before running the wash cycle. Doing so will clear debris that might otherwise cause blockage.
In addition, clean the air gaps frequently by removing the cap and wiping off all the debris you see using a soft bristle brush or a paper towel.
4. Frigidaire Gallery’s Timer is Defective
Your Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher cannot drain water if has an issue with the timer.
The work of the timer is to control the drain solenoid and the motor. If the timer is faulty, the motor and drain solenoid valve won’t work, and that will leave the dishwasher with stagnant water which can mess up your kitchen floor by flooding it.
I strongly recommend replacing the faulty timer fast, so you can get your dishwasher draining properly.
5. Using the Wrong Detergent
There’s always the temptation to try something new that just came to the market, and especially if it come at a lower price with premium promises.
If anything, it’s likely that you might have wanted to try a new detergent to see how well it can clean your dishes in the Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher. It works fine if the detergent is suitable for the unit.
However, you’re likely to run into drainage issues if you use the wrong detergent to do your dishes.
Frigidaire Gallery, like any other dishwasher, works best with dishwasher detergents only. If you use a different detergent while the dishwasher is running, you may end up with suds that will make water hard to drain during a cycle.
So stick to the recommended dishwasher detergent, and never use anything else even if you feel tempted to.
6. A Faulty Check Flapper Valve or Ball
Your Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher won’t drain used water if the check valve/flapper has issues.
The purpose of the check flapper is to hinder water from flowing back into the dishwasher.
In case a foreign object gets in the way and sticks on the valve, water won’t drain correctly or the unit won’t drain at all.
You can resolve the issue by cleaning this part. However, I there’s no change in the draining behavior, consider replacing the part with a new flapper valve.
In some rare cases, the check ball inside the valve might be the cause for the dishwasher not draining water properly.
If the ball doesn’t move, the dishwasher doesn’t drain. Consider replacing the ball if it continuously is stuck.
7. A Faulty Drainage Pump
It is hard to find the drainage pump malfunctioning in most Frigidaire Gallery dishwashers, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.
Within the pump, you will find an impeller whose responsibility is to drain water away from the dishwasher. But it might not work properly for a few reasons.
There may be clogs keeping the impeller from working. Also, you may notice worn out parts in the drainage pump or the areas around.
Whenever you are running a dishwasher wash cycle, listen attentively to the monitor in the dishwasher for a humming noise. The humming sound indicates there’s a worn-out part in the washer.
To solve this problem:
- Cut off power and disconnect the dishwasher from the drain hose and any other connection.
- Using a Torx drive, unscrew the screws securing the base plate to the dishwasher and take out the float switch.
- Unscrew the drain pump and remove it from the dishwasher after disconnecting it from its wire connector.
- Clean the debris on the pump and try to test if the problem is gone.
If the issue persists, check the impeller for clogs or foreign objects.
Rotate the impeller to the right and notice how it responds. If it rotates more smoothly, the impeller isn’t the issue. If it does, remove the impeller from it place, and inspect to see what’s causing the problem.
Also, use a multimeter to test the drainage pump motor for continuity. Have the part replaced if it doesn’t record any continuity.
8. Dirty Dishwasher Filter or Glass Trap
The purpose of the Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher filter is to sieve out large food particles so the drainage pump doesn’t block.
If the drainage pump blocks, used water won’t drain out of the dishwasher, and this can result in a bad smell in the dishwasher. It’s also likely that food debris can stick on the filter and cause blockage.
To fix this issue, you will need to access the filter inside the dishwasher, clean it and put it back in place.
- Take out the bottom rack from the dishwasher
- Gently pull to remove the wash arm with the filter.
- Separate the wash arm and the filter.
- Rinse the filter with running water.
- Put the filter and wash arm back together, and fix them back to where they were.
- Rotate the filter handle to the right and push the wash arm down so that it locks in place.
To prevent the dishwasher from blocking, I strongly suggest that you clean the filter once or twice a month.
Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher Drain Pump Test
Most Frigidaire dishwashers come with single motor-driven pumps, but the case is different with the Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher.
This one has two drain pumps, one for water circulation and the other one for water drainage. Each motor comes with its impeller.
Check for obstructions from time to time on both pumps and ensure the pump motors are getting power for drainage to take effect.
Here is how you can test the drain pump of the unit:
- Start by disconnecting the dishwasher from power to prevent electrocution.
- Locate the dishwasher pump under the spray arm behind the lower access panel.
- Disconnect it from any connections and then take it out.
- Set the multimeter to Rx1 mode and start testing for continuity by touching the drain pump’s terminal with the probes.
The value you should get while testing for continuity is zero or anything near zero.
Consider replacing the pump if the results you get are not near zero or close to zero because that means the pump is defective.
How to Drain Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher
Here is how to force the stagnant water at the base of the Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher out:
- Using a towel or old newspapers, line the surface below the dishwasher.
- Take a small cup or a ladle and scoop or ladle out water at the base. You can pour the water you scoop out into the sink, bucket, or large bowl.
When the depth of the water becomes shallow and difficult to collect using a cup or ladle, use an old cloth or paper towel to absorb what’s left.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is There Standing Water in My Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher?
There’s standing water in the bottom of your dishwasher because of clogs in the drain pump, air gap, filter, garbage disposal, or drain hose.
You have to clean these parts to remove the clog and that way you can get the dishwasher to start draining properly.
2. Should Water Sit at the Bottom of My Frigidaire Gallery Dishwasher?
About one or two cups of water will remain standing at the bottom of your Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher, and that’s perfectly normal.
However, if you notice that dirty water is building up over time, you may need to inspect the drainage system for blockages.
How can I clean or replace the filter assembly of my Frigidaire dishwasher if it is clogged or damaged?
To properly clean or replace the filter assembly of your Frigidaire dishwasher if it becomes clogged or damaged, follow these steps:
1. Begin by removing the filter from the dishwasher. You can typically find the filter at the bottom of the dishwasher, near the sprayer arm. Refer to your dishwasher’s user manual for specific instructions on how to locate and remove the filter.
2. Once the filter is removed, rinse it under warm water to remove any loose debris. This will help to loosen and remove any remaining food particles or other impurities stuck in the filter.
3. Next, apply a small amount of dish soap to a brush with soft bristles. Gently scrub the filter to remove any stubborn dirt or grime. The soap will help to break down grease and other residue.
4. Rinse the filter thoroughly with warm water to ensure all soap and debris are completely removed. Avoid using hot water, as it may cause damage to certain types of filters.
5. Inspect the filter for any signs of damage or wear. If you notice any cracks, tears, or other issues, it may be necessary to replace the filter. Refer to your Frigidaire dishwasher’s user manual or contact the manufacturer for information on obtaining a replacement filter assembly.
6. If the filter is still in good condition after cleaning, carefully reinsert it back into the dishwasher. Ensure that it is correctly aligned and properly seated to ensure optimal filtration.
7. Finally, test your dishwasher to ensure that the filter is functioning correctly. Run a cycle with some dishes to observe its performance and ensure that it effectively filters out any debris or impurities.
Remember, proper maintenance and regular cleaning of the filter assembly can help prevent clogs and extend the lifespan of your dishwasher.
How can I determine if the pump and motor assembly of my Frigidaire dishwasher needs to be replaced?
To determine if the pump and motor assembly of your Frigidaire dishwasher needs to be replaced, follow these steps:
1. Check for blockage: If you notice that the motor runs during the drain cycle, but water is still not being forced out through the drain hose, there may be a blockage in the drain line. Inspect the drain line for any obstructions, such as food particles or debris, and clear them if necessary. If the blockage persists despite removing any visible obstructions, it may be an indication that the pump and motor assembly needs replacement.
2. Listen for humming sounds: If the motor only produces a humming sound instead of running as it should during the drain cycle, this could also be a sign of a faulty pump and motor assembly. The humming sound indicates that power is reaching the motor, but it is unable to operate properly. In such cases, it is likely that the pump and motor assembly needs replacement.
3. Evaluate other drainage issues: If you experience persistent drainage problems that cannot be resolved by checking for blockages or if you notice any other irregularities during the dishwasher’s drain cycle, it is advisable to have the pump and motor assembly inspected. Inefficient drainage or inconsistent performance may indicate a malfunctioning assembly that requires replacement.
If you encounter any of these issues while using your Frigidaire dishwasher, it is recommended to consult a professional technician or contact Frigidaire customer support for further assistance. They will be able to accurately diagnose the problem and guide you on whether the pump and motor assembly need to be replaced.
What is the required part for a Frigidaire dishwasher if the main control board is faulty?
If the main control board in your Frigidaire dishwasher is faulty and needs replacement, the required part is the Dishwasher Control Board. To find the specific control board compatible with your product, please enter the model number in the provided search bar. If you need assistance in locating your model number, we are here to help. You can browse through our selection of Frigidaire Dishwasher Control Board Parts to find the correct replacement for your dishwasher.
How can I clean or replace the drain valve of my Frigidaire dishwasher if it is not functioning properly?
To clean or replace the drain valve of your Frigidaire dishwasher if it is not functioning properly, you can follow these steps:
1. Start by locating the drain valve in your dishwasher. The drain valve is responsible for allowing the water to flow out of the dishwasher.
2. If you suspect that the drain valve is clogged with debris, it is essential to clean it. Make sure to turn off the dishwasher and disconnect the power supply before proceeding.
3. Remove the lower rack of the dishwasher to access the drain valve easily.
4. Inspect the drain valve for any visible debris or blockages. If you can see any blockage, carefully remove it using a soft brush or a cloth.
5. If cleaning the drain valve does not resolve the issue and it still does not function properly, it may be necessary to replace it. Drain valves are not repairable, so if the valve is defective, it must be replaced.
6. To find the correct replacement drain valve for your specific Frigidaire dishwasher model, you will need to enter the model number. You can do this by referring to the user manual of your dishwasher or by checking the label located inside the dishwasher door or on the side of the control panel. Once you have the model number, you can search for the required part on the Frigidaire website or other online appliance parts retailers.
7. Follow the instructions provided with the replacement drain valve to install it correctly. Make sure to disconnect the power supply and turn off the dishwasher before attempting any installation.
8. After the new drain valve is installed, reassemble any removed parts and secure them properly.
9. Finally, restore the power supply to the dishwasher and test the functionality of the drain valve by running a short cycle.
By following these steps and either cleaning or replacing the drain valve, you should be able to resolve any issues with the drainage of your Frigidaire dishwasher.
What is the required part for a Frigidaire dishwasher if the drain solenoid fails?
If the drain solenoid of a Frigidaire dishwasher fails, the required part that needs to be replaced is the Dishwasher Drain Solenoid Kit. The drain solenoid is responsible for opening the drain valve to allow the water to exit the dishwasher during the draining process. When the drain solenoid malfunctions and fails to open the valve, it causes the dishwasher to be unable to drain properly. Therefore, to resolve this issue, it is necessary to obtain and install a new Dishwasher Drain Solenoid Kit.
How can I replace the drain impeller of my Frigidaire dishwasher if it is broken?
To replace the drain impeller of your Frigidaire dishwasher if it is broken, follow these steps:
1. Identify the model number of your Frigidaire dishwasher. This number can usually be found on a label inside the dishwasher door or on the side of the appliance. If you’re having trouble finding it, refer to the user manual or visit the manufacturer’s website for assistance.
2. Once you have the model number, search for the required part specific to your product. This can be done by entering the model number on the Frigidaire website or using an authorized parts supplier. Look specifically for the Dishwasher Drain Impeller.
3. Once you’ve obtained the replacement impeller, disconnect the power to the dishwasher by either unplugging it or turning off the circuit breaker that powers it. Safety precautions should always be taken when working with electrical appliances.
4. Open the dishwasher door and locate the drain impeller. It is usually located at the bottom of the dishwasher, near the drain hose connection or garbage disposer.
5. Depending on the model of your dishwasher, you may need to remove the lower spray arm and any other necessary components to access the drain impeller. Consult your dishwasher’s user manual for detailed instructions on how to disassemble these parts.
6. Once you have access to the drain impeller, carefully remove it by unscrewing or unclipping it. Take note of how it is installed so that you can correctly install the new impeller later.
7. Install the new drain impeller by reversing the removal process. Make sure it is securely attached and properly aligned.
8. Reassemble any components or parts that were removed to access the drain impeller.
9. Restore power to the dishwasher by plugging it back in or turning the circuit breaker back on.
10. Test the dishwasher by running a short cycle to ensure the new drain impeller is functioning properly and effectively draining the water.
By following these steps, you should be able to replace the broken drain impeller of your Frigidaire dishwasher and restore its functionality. If you encounter any difficulties or are unsure about any of the steps, it is recommended to consult a professional technician or contact Frigidaire customer support for further assistance.
How can I determine if the drain pump of my Frigidaire dishwasher is defective?
To determine if the drain pump of your Frigidaire dishwasher is defective, you can follow these steps:
1. Start by checking the pump motor for continuity. This can be done using a multimeter, which is a device used to measure electrical resistance. Set the multimeter to the continuity setting (usually indicated by a sound or a symbol), and ensure that the dishwasher is disconnected from any power source.
2. Locate the drain pump motor, which is typically found at the bottom of the dishwasher. It may require accessing the pump assembly or removing certain parts, so refer to the dishwasher’s manual for specific instructions.
3. Once you have located the pump motor, connect the multimeter probes to the motor’s terminals. One probe should be connected to the positive terminal, and the other probe to the negative terminal.
4. Check the multimeter display and look for a reading indicating continuity. If there is continuity, it means that the electrical circuit within the motor is intact, suggesting that the pump motor is not defective.
5. Alternatively, if the motor does not have continuity (no reading on the multimeter) or if it is receiving power but fails to run, it is likely that the drain pump is defective. In this case, it is recommended to replace the drain pump with a new one.
By following these steps and performing the continuity test, you will be able to determine if the drain pump of your Frigidaire dishwasher is defective or not, and take appropriate action accordingly.
I hope this troubleshooting guide has helped you fix the Frigidaire Gallery draining problem. Now you can use your dishwasher to do your dishes in the shortest time possible.