So, your Maytag Bravos XL dryer won’t start, and you’ve no idea what to do? It may surprise you, but you don’t have to call a service technician right away just because the dryer won’t turn on and run.
The chances are that your Maytag Bravos XL dryer won’t start because of the lack of power, disengaged door, wrong setting, an error code, damp control panel, vent blockage, or part malfunction.
And concerning the last reason, the parts to check include the start switch, timer, drive motor, and main control board.
Once you go through these seven possibilities keenly, you’ll recognize why your Maytag dryer won’t start and eventually fix it DIY.
Don’t worry, nevertheless, as I’ll walk you through them. We’ll discuss how each of the reasons prevents your dryer from running. Afterward, we’ll look at issues such as a Maytag XL dryer that won’t start despite turning on, beeping, or clicking.
Let’s jump into it!
In a hurry? Below is a quick guide on troubleshooting a Maytag Bravos XL dryer that won’t start.
Maytag Bravos XL Dryer Won’t Start Cycle – Quick Troubleshooting Guide
|What to Check
|Lack Of Power
|An extension cord, a tripped breaker, or a faulty thermal fuse, outlet, or power cord
|Plug the dryer into the wall socket and not the extension cord. Reset the breaker if flipped and replace the thermal fuse, outlet, or power cord if they don’t show continuity
|Trapped clothes or faulty door switch or latch
|Remove clothe obstructions and replace the door latch or switch it if faulty
|Wrong Dryer Setting
|Active Wrinkle Reduction or Child/Control Lock
|Set your dryer on Auto-Dry (Automatic Dry) or Time-Dry and deactivate Child Lock
|Reset the dryer to offset the error code
|Damp Control Panel
|Wipe dry the dryers control panel and avoid touching it with wet hands
|Vent clogging or kinking
|Clean the dryer vent and uncurl it to get rid of kinks
|Start switch, timer, drive motor, and main control board
|Test each component for fault and replace the faulty one
Why Your Maytag Bravos XL Dryer Won’t Start
Here are seven reasons why most Maytag Bravos XL dryers won’t start and how to fix them.
1. The Dryer Is Not Getting Any Power
Your Maytag Bravos XL dryer will only turn on and run if it has power. Any power disruption will prevent it from starting, and that includes the following:
- Extension cord
It’s not advisable to plug a heavy appliance like a dryer into the extension cord. That’s because the extension cord restricts current flow meaning your dryer won’t get enough power.
Fix – Don’t plug your dryer into the extension cord but the wall socket.
- Tripped faulty fuse
The thermal fuse blows up when there’s overvoltage, preventing the dryer from starting.
Fix – Test the thermal fuse’s continuity with a multimeter. If it shows no continuity, replace it.
- Tripped breaker
Maytag electric dryer generally has two circuit breakers that must be ON for the dryer to start. If the breaker trips, primarily due to a power surge, the dryer won’t start.
Fix – Inspect the circuit breakers from tripping and reset them if tripped.
- Faulty power outlet
A faulty socket won’t allow your Maytag dryer to receive any power. So, you ought to check and replace it if it’s defective.
Fix – Use a multimeter to test the socket’s continuity. If it shows no continuity, replace it or call the local electrician.
- Faulty power cord
Don’t forget to check the dryer’s power cord, as it could be broken, loose, or worn out. You can know if it’s faulty if it won’t show continuity while testing it with a multimeter.
Fix – Replace the power cord if it’s broken, loose, or worn out.
2. The Dryer Door Appears Disengaged
If the Maytag dryer interprets the door as not correctly shut for whatever reason, it may not start. And if it does, it’s improbable to complete a cycle.
Overall, two issues would prevent the dryer door from engaging appropriately. They include:
- Trapped clothes – If trapped clothes are between the dryer door, the door won’t latch properly. In the end, the dryer will interpret it as faulty.
- Faulty door switch or latch – If the door switch or door latch is broken or malfunctioning, the dryer door won’t latch properly. That may prevent the dryer from starting.
Check the door switch or latch for signs of fault. You can even test the door switch with a multimeter. If faulty, replace it. And if there are trapped clothes, remove them first.
3. You Might Have Picked the Wrong Setting
Sometimes it takes an innocent mistake like picking the wrong cycle setting or failing to do the same for the Maytag dryer not to start. In particular, if any of these two settings is active, your dryer won’t start:
- Wrinkle Reduction – Selecting Wrinkle Reduction delays your Maytag dryer from starting. That’s unlike Auto-Dry (Automatic Dry) and Timed-Dry, where the dryer begins immediately.
- Child/Control Lock – The control lock function, sometimes known as child lock, locks the dryer control panel preventing the dryer from starting. So, check its status light and deactivate it.
Switch the dryer from Wrinkle Reduction to Auto-Dry or Timed-Dry. And if Control/Child Lock is on, deactivate it by long pressing the ‘Cycle Signal switch’ for 3 seconds.
4. An Error Code Could Be Preventing the Dryer from Starting
There is a reason why Maytag dryers display error codes, and that is to help you recognize a fault and fix it. How about if you ignore the error code? Then your dryer may malfunction or even fail to start, as is our case.
So, if there is an error code when you turn on the dryer, it could be why the dryer won’t start.
Check for possible error codes and reset your Maytag dryer to clear it.
5. The Control Panel Could Be Damp
The control panel’s electronic controls are extra sensitive to moisture. If you touch the controls with wet hands, they may fail to respond when you switch the dryer on.
Wipe the dryer’s control panel dry if it looks wet. While at it, avoid touching the control panel with wet hands.
6. Possible Dryer Vent Blockage
Also, consider the possibility of the dryer vent blocking and preventing hot air escape. Also, a blockage can prevent the dryer from heating up. So, this is something you’ve to check keenly.
In particular, check for the following sources of vent blockage:
- Vent clogging – Too much lint, dirt, or debris blocks the dryer vent, preventing vent air escape and proper airflow. The result is that the dryer is unable to start.
- Vent kinking – If the dryer vent is kinked, the dryer may not start due to inadequate airflow and hot air exhaust.
Inspect the dryer from clogging and kinking. Clean it if it’s dirt-clogged, and stretch it out if it’s kinked.
7. A Falling Component Could Be Preventing the Dryer from Starting
Lastly, if none of the above six reasons is preventing your Maytag Bravos XL dryer from starting, the problem is likely a failed component. One of the components below is faulty, worn out, or damaged.
- Start switch
Ordinarily, it takes a 2-5 seconds long press to turn on the Maytag dryer. It won’t turn on if you only tap the start button or if the start button is faulty.
Fix – Press the start switch for 2-5 seconds. If the dryer won’t start, test the start switch’s continuity and replace it if it’s faulty.
Though a faulty timer is less likely to prevent your dryer from starting, it remains a possibility.
Fix – Test the timer with a multimeter and replace it if it won’t display some continuity.
- Drive motor
The drive motor has to be functional for the dryer belt to turn and spin the drum. If it’s faulty, not only will that not happen, but the dryer may not start.
Fix – Inspect the drive motor for damages and replace it if that’s the case.
- Main control board
After going through all the above possibilities, your only remaining option is the main control board. Since it’s the dryer’s driving engine, its defectiveness means the dryer won’t start.
Fix – Replace the control board
Maytag Bravos XL Dryer Turns On but Won’t Start
Your Maytag XL dryer will power on but fail to start due to any of these reasons:
- Broken fuse – While a broken thermal fuse does not entirely cut off the dryer’s power supply, it can prevent it from starting. So, inspect the thermal fuse and replace it if it’s broken.
- Faulty door switch – The dryer may turn on when the door is defective, but it may not start. So, you need to inspect the door switch and replace it if it’s faulty.
- A broken belt or belt switch – If either the dryer belt or the belt switch is broken, the dryer may turn on but won’t start. Thus, you need to inspect and replace them if faulty.
Maytag Bravos XL Dryer Beeps but Won’t Start
Sometimes, a Maytag Bravos XL dryer may only beep when you press the start button but won’t start. If that’s so, then it could be due to either of these reasons:
- Broken or blown up fuse – A broken or blown up fuse may, at times, allow the dryer to only beep, but it won’t start. So, you’ll need to test the fuse’s continuity test and replace it if it’s faulty.
- Faulty door – You also have to inspect the dryer door for fault. If the door lock is defective, the dryer may only beep but won’t start until you replace it.
Maytag Bravos XL Dryer Clicks but Won’t Start
Consider these issues if your Maytag Bravos XL dryer only clicks but won’t start:
- Loose or broken belt – If the dryer belt is loose or damaged, the dryer may only click but won’t start. Not until you replace the belt.
- Blown fuse – If your dryer only beeps but won’t start, test the thermal fuse’s continuity and replace it if it shows none, as it could have blown up.
- Broken idler pulley – A broken idler pulley will also prevent the dryer from starting, but it may click. If so, replace the idler pulley.
Now, you know why your Maytag Bravos XL dryer won’t start and what to do to make it start. After all, most of the issues are things you can fix. Doing so stops you from calling a service technician and spending money unnecessarily.