Maytag has built a solid reputation over the years with its line of dryers. But even so, sometimes the dryer won’t start, forcing you to call an expert dryer technician. However, consider this guide on ‘Maytag dryer troubleshooting won’t start’ first before you do.
Often, a Maytag dryer won’t start because the start button is not well pressed or due to a power outage, inadequate power, a bad switch, or a wet control panel. Other possibilities include a disengaged door, wrong setting, faulty motor, or defective control board.
So, you’ve to look at several possibilities, narrow them down, and act on the most likely ones. To help you, we’ll look at all the nine issues, their effect, and fixes.
In most cases, you don’t need an expert dryer technician to help you do the troubleshooting. Let’s jump into it!
In a hurry? See a quick troubleshooting guide for all the nine possible causes in the table below.
Quick Guide for Maytag Dryer Troubleshooting Won’t Start
|Possible Cause||Suggested Fix|
|1.||Start Button Not Pressed Well||Press down the start switch for 2-5 seconds to see if the dryer will start|
|2.||Power Outage||Wait for the power to come back as there is nothing you can do here|
|3.||Inadequate Power||Reset the breaker if it’s tripped, and replace the power cord, wall socket, or thermal fuse if they fail to show continuity|
|4.||Bad Switch||Replace the start, belt, or drive switch if any of them fails the multi-tester continuity test|
|5.||Wet Control Panel||Dry your clothes before touching the control panel and wipe dry the control panel with a clean, dry cloth|
|6.||Disengaged Door||Remove obstructive clothes around the dryer door and push the door firmly. If it doesn’t engage, replace the door switch.|
|7.||Wrong Setting||Disengage the control lock if it’s on as well as wrinkle reduction|
|8.||Faulty Motor||Replace the motor if it’s making a humming noise, but the dryer won’t start|
|9.||Defective Main Control Board||Replace the main control board (it should come as your last resort)|
Why Is My Maytag Dryer Not Starting?
Here are nine possible explanations for a Maytag dryer that won’t start:
1. The Start Button Might Not Be Well Pressed
Ideally, you shouldn’t just tap the start button. You have to press it down firmly for the Maytag dryer to start. If you don’t, you could assume something serious is wrong with the dryer when there is nothing to alarm you.
Consider pressing the start button firmly and holding it down for about 2-5 seconds to see if the dryer will start. The few seconds give the motor enough time to engage and run the dryer.
Remember, some Maytag dryers have the start button indicating ‘hold to start’ or ‘push to start’ and not just ‘start.’
2. You Could Be Having a Power Outage
Without power, your dryer won’t start when you press the start button. So, consider the possibility of a power outage. The only exception is a gas-powered dryer when you check for gas power instead of electricity.
Try plugging another operational device into the light bulb. If they don’t work, you highly likely have a power outage. So you only need to wait.
3. The Maytag Dryer May Not Be getting Adequate Power Supply
Perhaps it’s not a power outage, but if your dryer does not receive adequate power, the chances are that it won’t start. Several issues could cut off or reduce the dryer’s power supply. They are as follows:
- Tripped breaker – The circuit breaker usually trips when there’s excess power influx to protect the dryer from overheating. Sadly, its tripping deters the Maytag dryer from starting.
- Exploded fuse – An excess power influx could also cause the thermal fuse to blow up, preventing the dryer from starting.
- Faulty socket – If the socket or wall outlet is defective, power won’t get to the dryer when you press start. As a result, the Maytag dryer won’t start.
- Loose or faulty power cord – If the dryer’s power cable is wobbly or defective, it won’t allow power to pass through, preventing the dryer from starting.
- Extension cord – Unfortunately, an extension cord doesn’t favor the operation of a Maytag dryer or any other. It may cut off the power supply to the dryer entirely, preventing it from starting.
Reset the dryer’s breaker if it is tripped. For continuity, use a multi-tester/multimeter to examine the socket, power cord, and thermal fuse.
If any of the three doesn’t show continuity, it must be faulty, so you should replace it. Meanwhile, plug the power cable well into the wall outlet instead of the extension cord.
4. One of the Switches Could Be Bad
A Maytag dryer may fail to start if one of its switches is faulty. The switches in question include the following:
- Start switch – The dryer may hum when you press start but won’t start if the start button is not working. So, watch out for a humming sound when you press start.
- Door switch – the door switch usually triggers the dryer door to close and the dryer to start. If it’s faulty, not only will the door fail to close, but it’ll also prevent the dryer from running.
- Belt switch – Some Maytag dryers feature a switch belt that enables the drive belt to spin. If it’s faulty, the drive belt won’t turn, preventing the drive motor from spinning and the dryer from starting.
Using a multimeter/multi-tester, test the three switches for continuity. If any shows no continuity, replace it.
5. Wet Control Panel (Why Maytag Dryer Has Power But Won’t Start)
If your Maytag dryer has power but won’t start, the problem could be the control panels’ touch buttons which are not responding to the touch. That could happen if your hands are wet.
Dry your hands first if they are wet before touching the control panel. Also, wipe the control panel clean with a clean, dry cloth.
6. The Door Could Be Disengaged (Why Maytag Front Load Dryer Won’t Start)
If you have a Maytag front loader, check its door to ensure it is properly latched. If it’s not, then it’s highly likely that the dryer won’t start.
Start by checking the door latch for clothes obstructions. The door may not be appropriately latched if there are cloth obstructions.
Remove any cloth obstructions between the dryer door and the dryer. If there’s none, check the door latching to ensure it is well-engaged. If it’s not, push it firmly but if the door won’t close after that, inspect the door switch and fix it as shared in step 4.
7. The Dryer Setting Could Be Wrong and Preventing the Dryer from Starting
A minor issue, such as picking an incorrect cycle or failing to choose any, could result in a Maytag dryer that won’t start.
Here are some of those settings:
- Control Lock – The ‘control lock’ function is not just a safety feature but also prevents the dryer from starting. So, it shouldn’t be on when starting a Maytag dryer.
- Wrinkle Reduction – Wrinkle reduction delays the dryer from starting. So, you shouldn’t choose this setting when you begin a Maytag dryer.
Turn off the control lock if it’s on and opt for either Timed-Dry or Automatic-Dry instead of Wrinkle Reduction.
8. The Drive Motor Could Be Faulty
The drive motor’s job is to turn the drum and enable the blower wheel to expend air. If it’s faulty, your dryer may fail to start.
Before considering replacing the drive motor, examine the blower wheel for obstructions and remove them. If there’s none and the motor is humming, replace it as it’s likely to be faulty.
9. You Might Be Having a Defective Main Control Board
After ruling out the eight issues shared above, your last resort is the main control board. A defective main control board stops the dryer from starting or heating.
Consider replacing your dryer’s main control as your last option. You can seek an expert technician’s help here.
Maytag Gas Dryer Troubleshooting Won’t Start
Consider these issues if your Maytag gas dryer won’t start:
- Gas failure – Check your gas supply to ensure that your dryer receives enough power and that there aren’t any gas blockages, such as pipe kinks.
- Faulty start button – Ensure the start button is pressed correctly down. If it fails a multi-tester continuity test, replace it.
- Wet control panel – Wipe your hands dry and the control panel before touching it.
- Tripped breaker – Check the dryer’s circuit breaker from tripping and reset it if it’s tripped.
- Blown-up fuse – Test the thermal fuse for continuity using a multimeter and replace it if it’s faulty.
- Obstructed door – Inspect the dryer door for obstructive clothes and remove them.
People Also Ask
1. What Would Cause a Maytag Dryer Not to Start?
Several issues would prevent a Maytag dryer from starting. That includes power outage, exploded fuse, tripped breaker, faulty start switch, defective door latch, control lock, and faulty motor. If none of these issues are wrong, consider changing the main control board.
2. Where Is the Reset Button On Maytag Dryer?
A Maytag dryer doesn’t have a reset button. Instead, you should reset it by pressing Power/Cancel (double) + New Cycle + Start.
3. Why Won’t My Dryer Start but Has Power?
Your dryer won’t start even though it has power if the control panel touch buttons are wet, the start switch is faulty, or the control lock is active.
4. Is There a Reset Button On a Maytag Dryer?
Unfortunately, no! A Maytag dryer doesn’t have a reset button. To reset it, you’ll need to unplug the dryer for about 10-30 minutes or press Power/Cancel (double) + New Cycle + Start.
5. How Do You Check the Start Switch On Maytag Dryer?
You can check a Maytag dryer start switch for fault by using a multimeter. If the start switch shows no continuity, replace it as it’s likely to be faulty.
Closing Remarks On a Maytag Dryer Troubleshooting Won’t Start!
Generally, it’s worth checking the start button, power supply, switches, control panel, dryer door, settings, and motor if your Maytag dryer won’t start.
But if you cannot diagnose the issue after ruling out all those possibilities, replace the dryer’s main control board.