GE (General Electric) has come a long way, having been founded in 1892, and now one of the largest washing machine brands. But with the brand associated with all kinds of washing machines, are GE washers good?
GE washers may be slightly expensive, somehow noisy, and short-warranted, but they are good. You can tell from their numerous connectivity and smart wash features, stylish and space-saving designs, huge capacities, reliability, energy efficiency, powerful wash cycles, and anti-mold technologies.
Even better, these washers can wash all load sizes, which shows there’s more to look at on the positive side, even though there are some apparent negatives we can’t overlook.
This GE washing machine review shall dissect the good and bad of owning and using a GE washing machine. Hopefully, the information will help you decide whether GE should be your next washing machine brand.
But first, let’s look at the washers’ brand overview.
In a rush? The table below summarizes the pros and cons of GE washing machines which I’ll cover shortly.
Pros and Cons of GE Washers
|1. Innovative connectivity features like Wi-Fi, Alexa, and SmartHQ|
2. Lots of intelligent wash features
3. Stylish designs
4. Space-saving designs
5. Larger capacities
6. Reliable due to higher customer satisfaction and low service rate
7. Energy efficient
8. Powerful wash cycles and settings
9. Anti-mold and anti-odor technology
10. The flexibility of washing smaller loads
|1. Slightly pricey |
2. Shorter warranty
3. Too many features – some of which can be confusing
4. Top loaders can be noisy
5. Inconsistent quality
6. Fast but not as quick as some brands (1000RPM maximum spin rate)
About GE Washer Brand
GE (General Electric) was founded in 1892 in Schenectady, New York, USA, by J.P. Morgan, Charles Coffin, and Thomas Edison. Today, the company’s head offices are in Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
While GE serves a variety of industries, such as aviation, renewable energy, finance, and healthcare, they are more widespread in the home appliance sector.
As far as washing machines go, GE makes top-load, front-load, portable and stackable washers. In addition, they make various washer accessories such as washer pedestals and risers.
GE washing machines are competitively priced because of their innovative features and smart technologies. They also come in a variety of capacities and appearances.
Let’s discuss how good they are:
How Good Are GE Washers? The Pros
There is a lot to like about GE washers, even though some concerns (to be discussed later) are there. Here are the ten things that make GE washers good:
1. Smart Connectivity Features
GE arguably has the best smart washer, judging by its rich, intelligent connectivity features such as SmartHQ, which allows you to remotely run the wash cycle with your smartphone, monitor the washer’s progress, and get real-time alerts.
Others have voice control features, such as Alexa, that allows you to run them with your voice. With Alexa, you can adjust the washers’ settings depending on the fabric using your phone. And like every Alexa application, it informs you about the weather and can play music.
GE smart washers have built-in Wi-Fi to allow you to connect them to your home Wi-Fi. So, whenever something is wrong with your washer, you get a notification on your phone’s SmartHQ app.
2. Smart Wash Feature
Smart connectivity is not the only thing that GE takes pride in the smart washer sector. There are so many features that make washing by these machines seamless. Among them are:
- Smarter Wash – The Adaptive Smarter Washer washing technology promotes cleaning power optimization and extra fabric care in each cycle.
- Smart Rinse – Smart Rinse technology also promises extra fabric care when rinsing the clothes but, more importantly, rinse time optimization.
- Smart Dispense – The adaptive Smart Dispense technology saves time and energy when dispensing detergents (up to 32 loads).
- Smart Flex Dispense – This technology offers a dedicated detergent and fabric softener dispenser.
- Tangle Control – Tangle Control technology intelligently reduces tangled loads, making the machines user-friendly.
- Adaptive MySettings – This adaptive feature allows you to personalize the cycle selection depending on preference, thus saving time and enabling you to maintain consistency when washing.
- Dynamic Balancing Technology (dBT) – dBT balances non-uniform loads during the spinning to promote a less noisy wash.
3. Stylish Designs
GE washing machines are stylish, and you can tell from the array of designs and finishes available. Some of the most stylish finishes, for example, include diamond gray, sapphire blue, carbon graphite, and satin nickel.
4. Space-Saving Designs
GE washing machines may be large-capacity washers, but they have several advantages over their competitors, making them space-saving. For example, most of the washers are stackable with their sibling dryers.
A good number of them also have reversible doors, saving space. Plus, there are portable and compact (apartment-size) options that’ll save space.
5. Large Capacities
Though GE makes its washers in various capacities, many are large-capacity options, thus suitable for washing large loads. For example, their top loaders start from a 2.8 cu-ft capacity to about 5.3 cu-ft, while front loaders have a capacity of 2.4 – 5.3 cu-ft.
According to a 2022 JD Power Appliance Satisfaction Study, GE top-top washing machines have a customer satisfaction index of 875/1,000, while the front loafers have an index of 860/1,000.
So, while that’s less than that of Samsung, Whirlpool, and LG, it’s pretty impressive to confirm that GE washing machines are reliable.
A 2022 Yale Appliance study even ranks GE front loaders at number 3 with an 8% service rate, which is only lower than LG’s (3.3) and Samsung’s (4.9%). With such a lower service rate, it’s irrefutable that the washers are reliable.
7. Energy Efficient
Most GE washing machines come with the Energy Star label to show they are Energy Star-qualified. They save energy without sacrificing performance, washing efficiency, convenience, or style.
8. Multiple Powerful Cycles and Settings
GE washing machines don’t just come with lots of intelligent features and connectivity but also promise lots of powerful cycles and settings that make it easy for you to do your laundry.
Such cycles and settings include the following:
- 1-Step Wash + Dry – This cycle allows you to wash and dry small-size loads in the washer, thus bypassing the dryer.
- Water Station – The water station enables you to prevent dirty clothes before the main wash for easy cleaning.
- Deep Fill – Deep fill lets you customize the water fill levels to wash the laundry the way you want.
- Sanitize Cycle – The cycle allows you to eliminate 99% bacteria from the clothes.
- Power Pre-Wash – This GE profile cycle will enable you to pre-wash heavily soiled clothes in a single process.
- Washer Link – It Lets you pair the washer with the dryer wirelessly.
9. Anti-Mold and Anti-Odor Technology
One of GE washing machines’ selling points is their ability to eliminate mold and bad odor when doing the laundry. That has mainly been possible due to Microban Antimicrobial Technology and Ultra-Fresh Vent System.
Microban prevents odor-producing microbes from growing in wet areas such as the tub, drain pipe, and dispenser drawer. Ultra-fresh Vent System, on the other hand, removes excess moisture, which could potentially attract mold, thus promoting a clean, odorless, and mold-free washer.
Those two are, however, not the only technologies that promote an anti-bacterial and odor-free environment, as we also have the already mentioned Sanitize Cycle.
10. Ability to Wash All Load Sizes
Though most GE washing machines are large capacity, that doesn’t stop you from washing small loads. Most feature multiple smaller tubs or built-in sinks that you can use to clean smaller loads. So, you don’t have to get a small-capacity GE washer just because you want to wash smaller loads.
What Are the Concerns of GE Washers? The Cons
As good as GE washing machines are, they aren’t concern-free. These washers have a few drawbacks which you should be wary of, and they include the following:
- They can be pricey (unaffordable by some) – GE washing machines might be affordable for some users, but they aren’t cheap. Their front loaders average $779 – $1,199, while top loaders go for $512 – $999.
- Shorter warranty period – GE only offers a one-year limited warranty for their entire product, but you can get ten years on the motor. The worry is not the ten years but the one short year.
- The numerous features can be too confusing – GE washing machines are feature-rich, one of their strengths, but the numerous features can be confusing. They make the washers less user-friendly for some users.
- Some models are noisy – GE top loaders, in particular, can be louder. Unlike the front loaders, which employ Dynamic Balancing Technology, they make some noise when spinning.
- Some customers complain of inconsistent quality – Perhaps it’s an issue of a wide product range and different technologies, but some users complain of inconsistent product quality.
- They aren’t the fastest – GE washing machines can spin at a maximum spin rate of 1,000 RPM. While this doesn’t necessarily make them slower, it could be compared with other models, some of which can hit 1,300 RPM.
Are GE Front Load Washers Good?
If I can go back to the Yale study I mentioned earlier, the study ranks GE front loaders behind LG and Samsung when it comes to reliability, as the table below shows:
|Washer Brand||Service Rate|
With GE’s service rate only 8%, fewer customers call for repairs than those with Whirlpool and Maytag front loaders. That clearly shows that GE front loaders are good and worth buying.
Are GE Top Load Washers Good?
GE top loaders don’t disappoint regarding reliability, and the 2022 JD Appliance Satisfaction study (mentioned earlier) proves that. Out of 1,000 customers, 860 are satisfied with GE’s top loaders.
While the number is lower than that of LG, Whirlpool, and Samsung, it’s close to the segment average (866), as indicated in the table below:
|Washer Brand||Customer Satisfaction Index (out of 1,000)|
Overall, the study shows that GE’s top loaders are not as reliable as Samsung, LG, and Whirlpool, but that doesn’t make them bad. They have a decent score.
People Also Ask
1. Is GE Washer Reliable?
A study by JD Power shows that GE washers have a higher customer satisfaction rate, and Yale’s research shows they have a lower service rate. That proves they are reliable, though not as much as LG or Samsung in both studies.
2. Is GE A Good Brand for Washer and Dryer?
GE has been making and selling washers and dryers for many years. They have built a solid reputation, riding on innovation and intelligent features.
Few brands can match GE’s wide selection if you want the smartest home-worthy laundry machine.
3. Are GE Profile Washers Good?
GE Profile washing machines have so many unique features that make them good. For instance, these washers employ voice control and smartphone applications for remote control.
They also feature numerous powerful wash cycles, innovative wash features, and antimicrobial and Dynamic Balancing Technology (for quiet operation). The primary issue is that their many features can be confusing, and the prices are slightly higher.
In Conclusion, Are GE Washers Good or Bad?
It’s undeniable that GE washing machines have a few concerns. For example, the washers are pricey, have a shorter warranty, and may feature many confusing features.
But wait a minute! These same washers offer you smart wash and connectivity features, larger capacities, numerous wash cycles, and anti-mold and anti-odor results.
They are also reliable, space-saving, stylish, and let you wash small loads. That makes up for their concerns!