Knowing how to troubleshoot different Maytag Bravos MCT washer problems is the key to getting the most out of the washer. Most issues only require a minor component replacement, while others require a setting adjustment or load balance.
Common Maytag MCT washing machine problems include a washer that won’t start, agitate, drain, sense, spin fast enough, fill, or wash. Other issues include a washer that stops working mid-cycle and one that won’t spin the clothes dry.
Overall, all these problems have more than one probable cause, which I’ll share with you. I’ll discuss the washer problem, its likely cause, and the DIY fix. (Valium)
Later, we’ll look at how you can run a diagnostic on your Maytag Bravos and possibly reset it. The diagnostic will reveal error codes that show what is wrong with your washer, while a reset offers you a way to clear some of the error codes.
Let’s jump into it!
In a hurry? Below is a table indicating how to troubleshooter the various Maytag Bravos MCT washer problems.
Quick Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Troubleshooting Guide
|Washer Problem||Probable Cause||Fix|
|1.||Washer Won’t Start||Inbound power failure, blown thermal fuse, defective lid lock, or main control||Check for a possible tripped breaker or faulty cord, or electric outlet. And if you have a blown thermal fuse or a defective lid or main control, replace it.|
|2.||Washer Won’t Agitate||Faulty agitate repair kit, drive belt, door lock, drive motor, motor coupling, agitator assembly, or control board||Replace the faulty component|
|3.||Washer Won’t Drain||Clogged or faulty drain pump, clogged drain hose or coin trap, or faulty lid/door switch||Clean the drain pump (or replace it if it’s faulty), unclog the drain hose and coin trap, or replace the defective lid/door switch|
|4.||Washer Won’t Sense||A wrong setting, stuck keypad, low water level, drain clogging or a faulty timer, water level sensor, lid lock, water inlet valve, or control board||Choose the right washer setting, unstick the stuck keypad, improve the water level or unclog the drains. Additionally, replace a faulty water level sensor, lid lock, inlet valve, or control board|
|5.||Washer Won’t Spin Fast Enough||Laundry overload, faulty lid, poor drainage, loose or defective drive belt, loose belts, or faulty water level switch||Reduce the excess load, replace the faulty lid lock, unclog the drains, replace the defective drive belt, tighten loose bolts or change the water level switch|
|6.||Washer Won’t Fill||Low water pressure or defective water inlet valve||Increase the water pressure (to 20 psi) and replace the water inlet valve if it’s faulty|
|7.||Washer Won’t Wash||A faulty lid switch, timer, cycle selector, drive motor, drive belt, or water level switch||Replace the faulty part|
|8.||Washer Stops Working (Mid-Cycle)||Faulty door lock, water inlet valve, or main control||Replace the faulty part|
|9.||Washer Not Spinning Clothes Dry||Power failure, poor drainage, unbalanced load, washer not level, or wrong spin selection||Fix the power issue, unclog the drains, balance the load, level the washer, and choose the right spin setting|
Troubleshooting Common Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Problems
Here are the most typical issues to troubleshoot if you own a Maytag Bravos MCT:
1. Washing Machine Won’t Start
If your Maytag MCT washer won’t start, it could be due to any of these:
- Inbound power failure – Check for a possible tripped breaker or socket malfunction and fix it. Don’t forget to test the power cord with a multimeter and replace it if it’s faulty.
- Blown thermal fuse – The fuse blows when the washer overheats and will need replacing. So, test it with a multimeter. If it is defective, replace it.
- Defective lid lock – A defective lid lock prevents the washer from running normally. Thus, you’ll need to test it with a multimeter and replace it if it’s faulty.
- Dead control board – if the problem has nothing to do with a power failure, blown thermal fuse, or faulty lid lock, it’s likely to be the main control. So, you may need to replace it.
2. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Not Agitating
Your Maytag MCT won’t agitate if any of the components below are faulty:
- Drive belt – A defective drive belt fails to move the drum; consequently, the washer won’t agitate. You’ll need to replace it.
- Door lock – A faulty door lock prevents the machine from running normally, and subsequently, it won’t agitate until you replace it.
- Drive Motor – The drive motor drives the drive belt, and as a result, its failure causes the belt to fail, which means no agitation. It’ll also need a replacement.
Also, consider that the motor coupling or agitator assembly could be faulty and, if so, replace them.
3. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Not Draining
Good drainage is essential for the spinning of your washer. So, you’ve to fix it fast. If your Maytag Bravos MCT washer is not draining, the problem could be any of the following:
- Clogged or faulty drain pump – A clogged drain pump won’t pump the water out until you clean it. Likewise, a defective drain pump won’t pump the water until you replace it.
- Blocked drain hose – A blocked drain hose needs unblocking to allow the wastewater to pass through.
- Blocked coin trap – The coin trap, which traps foreign objects, must be clean to allow water to pass through. So, clean it.
- Faulty lid/door switch – A defective door switch prevents the washer from spinning, which interferes with the drainage. Hence, you’ll need to replace it.
4. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Not Sensing
Sometimes, the Maytag Bravos MCT washer sticks on sensing mode because of any of these issues:
- Wrong setting – Ensure you choose the right setting so the washer can run.
- Stuck keypad – Check for a stuck keypad and gently untick it to allow the washer to run.
- Low water level – Improve the water pressure to ensure the washer receives enough water.
- Drain clogging – Unclog the drains so the washer sensor can sense that and force the washer to start running.
- Faulty timer, water level sensor, lid lock, water inlet valve, or main control – Replace any of these parts if defective.
5. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Not Spinning Fast Enough
Your Maytag Bravos MCT won’t spin fast enough because of any of these reasons:
- Laundry overload – If the laundry is in excess, the washer will spin slowly. Therefore, reduce it.
- Faulty lid – A defective lid prevents the washer from running at maximum speed. So, you’ll need to fix it, possibly replacing the lid switch.
- Poor drainage – Unclog the drains as the slower the drainage, the slower the spin.
- Loose/defective drive belt – A loose or faulty drive belt can either slow down the spin or stop it. Thus, replace it.
- Faulty water level switch – Replace the water-level switch if it doesn’t show continuity on a multimeter as it slows down the spinning.
6. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Not Filling
If your Maytag MCT washer doesn’t fill, the problem could be any of the following:
- Low water pressure – A low water pressure makes it hard for the washer to fill up. Thus, measure your home water pressure with a pressure gauge and adjust it to at least 20 PSI if it’s low.
- Defective water inlet valve – A faulty water inlet valve needs changing as it lowers the water pressure and slows down the water filling.
7. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Stopped Working Mid Cycle
Sometimes the washer stops spinning mid-cycle. That’s likely to happen due to any of these reasons:
- Faulty door lock – Sometimes, a defective door lock may allow the washer to spin but only intermittently until you replace it.
- Defective water inlet valve – A defective water valve is worth replacing as it can cause the washer to stop mid-cycle.
- Dead main control – If the problem is none of the above, then it’s likely to be the main control that is dead and needs a replacement.
8. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Not Washing
Your washer may stick on the wash cycle yet not wash anything. If that happens, then it’s likely because of the following:
- Faulty lid switch – A faulty lid switch causes the lid to remain open or just partially locked, preventing the washer from running. You’ll need to replace it.
- Bad timer – You also need to replace a bad timer as it prevents the motor from turning.
- Defective cycle selector – A defective cycle selector is worth replacing as it prevents the motor from running.
- Damaged drive belt – A broken drive belt prevents the machine from spinning, agitating, and washing. It equally needs a replacement.
- Faulty water-level switch – A faulty switch fails to control the water level, interfering with the washing. You thus also need to replace it.
9. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Not Spinning Clothes Dry
The clothes are sometimes wet at the end of the spin cycle. If that’s the case, then the cause could be any of the following:
- Power failure – If there was a power failure mid-cycle, it might be worth it to reset the washer (the process shared next)
- Poor drainage – Poor drainage cause water retention in the load. To avoid that, unclog the drains and clean the drain pump.
- Unbalanced load – If the laundry load is unstable, it won’t spin dry at the end of the wash cycle. So, balance it.
- Washer not level – Reposition the washer on level ground to avoid destabilizing the load.
- Wrong spin selection – Match your spin selection with the laundry. For example, Normal wash should be for regular clothes and Bulk Cycle for bulk clothes.
What Else Can You Do When Your Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Doesn’t Work?
If you don’t see anything wrong with your Maytag washer, especially after going through the discussed nine problems, consider these two options:
- Putting your washer on diagnostic mode
- Resetting the washer
1. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Diagnostic Mode
Here’s how to put a Maytag Bravos MCT washer on diagnostic mode:
- Plug in your MCT washer but don’t turn on the indicators (that puts the washer on standby mode)
- Rotate the cycle selector (main knob) clockwise thrice
- Then turn it anticlockwise (once), then clockwise again (once)
- Wait for the indication to light up, indicating you’ve entered diagnostic mode
Overall, getting into diagnostic mode allows you to view various error codes which indicate what’s wrong with your washer. And if nothing is wrong, talk to a washing machine expert.
2. Maytag Bravos MCT Washer Reset
Consider resetting your Maytag Bravos MCT washer to clear error codes or after replacing something, and when you need to factory-reset the washer.
One way is by pressing power/cancel while the washer is plugged in. Then, choose a new cycle, and lastly, press start/pause to kick start the reset.
Alternatively, unplug the washer for at least 30 minutes. If that doesn’t work, contact a washer expert.
People Also Ask
1. How Do I Reset My Bravos MCT Maytag Washer?
You can reset your Bravos MCT Maytag washer in different ways. One way is by unplugging it for 30 minutes. The second way is by pressing power-cancel and then choosing a cycle before finally pressing start-pause.
2. Why Is My Maytag Bravos XL Washer Not Spinning?
There are different possible explanations for why your Maytag Bravos XL is not spinning. It could be due to an unbalanced load, a laundry overload, or an unbalanced washer. So, consider the three and fix them.
3. Why Is My Maytag Washer Not Draining or Spinning?
Your Maytag washer is neither draining nor spinning because of a clogged drain or pump or a faulty pump. If the pump is defective, you’ll need to replace it, but cleaning the drains and pumps is advisable if clogged.
Above are the most typical Maytag Bravos MCT washer problems. With the troubleshooting being DIY, it should be easy to do, at least before talking to an expert.
And once you know how to troubleshoot the problems, it becomes easier to prevent some of them.